Monday, January 11, 2010

Class of 2010

It's finally sinking in that when I return to school for the Spring 2010 semester that it will be my last semester of my collegiate life. It is kind of surreal, you know? Honestly, I can remember the day I first stepped foot on campus. My girlfriend at the time had just been picked up by her parents around 10pm the day before and I was so nervous that I didn't sleep at all. I paced up and down my block chain smoking whatever cigarettes I had bummed off of people. I was all packed up in an assortment of cardboard boxes and giant black garbage bags.

To think that in the Fall of 2006 I was a freshmen and that in the Spring of 2010 I will be leave really scares me. I understand that four years isn't a lot, but in those four years two of my favorite sports teams won the championship in their respective leagues, and I saw a black man become president. Never in my life could I have dreamed the things that have occurred in college. If you told me when I was graduating high school the things that I would do when I got to college, I would have laughed in your face. It's amazing how much has happened in 1,460 days. The people I've met, the relationships I have built have made more of a lasting impression then those that I had in high school.

The adult world scares me. I won't have health insurance, I might not be able to find a stable job, and I'll be away from the people that I have become close with. Granted I am not that far away, but I am not as easily accessible as I am currently. I can say that I'm scared. I am not trying to hide anything. But I will not let me being scared effect how I go about my life. Maybe scared might not be the best word to use, intimidated is better. If I can kick down the door to the real world like I did college, I will be fine. I'm banking on it. I trust myself to be able to do it. Four years felt like an eternity, but I have to say what's up to the rest of my life.

No comments: