Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Some People Love Horror Movies




I love Jean-Claude Van Damme movies. With the live action G.I. Joe movie on its way, let me say one thing: You should have got JCVD to choreograph the fight scenes, well atleast any fight involving Channing Tatum and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It would have been real.

JCVD is timeless. I think at one point, one of his movies inspired you to do what he did in it. When I was four years old, my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up and I responded with "A Kickboxer". I was a year old when that movie came out, and when I was four I had constantly watched it. There was nothing more I wanted to do but wrap my hands in rope, dip it in molasses or some shit, then follow it with broken shards of glass. That is the most gangster way to fight in my opinion.

I remeber chillin in my briefs doing the form that Tong Po would do after a fight. When I sparred with my brother I would slap my knees, elbows, hands and head to signify I was going to use all parts to lay a smack down. When I entered karate (yes hipsters do Karate. It's not as physical as any other martial art, that's why), I wanted to be able to do a spin kick like good ol' JCVD. Dude got hang time on his kicks. He knew what was good.

This has nothing to do with hipsters, but it's a shot out to my childhood hero. He kicked Tong Po's, Chong Li's, and Andrew Scott's ass. I bet you don't even know who Andrew Scott is. Speaking of that movie, I even remember wanting to be a reincarnated Vietnam Vet and having super human strength. GULLY.

What a true Martial Artist you forever will be, JCVD.

No comments: