Tuesday, February 9, 2010

When Vices Were Virtues

While I was bored at work I decided to go through old news papers. And by newspapers I mean the school news paper. I wanted to see what kind of photos were in there, and what the people were wearing back then. Because I wasn't able to get a good scan of any of the film, I looked at the ads. I was looking at the Rutgers Targum back in 1954, and instead of just seeing old college history, I saw sweet old cigarette and beer ads.

The 50's seemed really cool, y'know? People cared how they looked, people smoked and drank freely, it was cooler than the 60's. The only thing I can't really get down with is that I probably wouldn't even be allowed to go to school in America. Remember the whole segregation deal? But if you can look passed that, you'll see that the 50's were pretty sweet. Just watch Mad Men or The Animated Bat Man series where it seems like it takes place in the 50's.

I just absolutely love that these vices were advertised in college newspapers. I mean, I know EVERYONE was smoking, and this probably came way before all the bad stuff came out about cigarettes, but still. These ads are a lot cooler than the ones I see in the school news paper nowadays.







No comments: