Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Some Sort of Mecca



I remember about 3 or 4 years ago (I know it's not a long time, but in street wear, it's ages), where I would go to this website and just look at all the things I couldn't have. There are still many, many, MANY things I can't afford on that site, but going through it and seeing what shoes have dropped in price AMAZES me. I was browsing through the Nike Skateboarding section, and was going from highest to lowest, and I saw a pair of Dunk Cali's. If memory serves me right, these were I think second generation, and one of the hottest dunks out. I remember thinking 400 dollars is a lot of money. Four hundred dollars is reasonable nowadays.

What I am getting at is that it's sad to see that such classic, simple design as the Calis are being disrespected by the mark ups of shitties, horribly designed successors. Like the "What the Dunk" dunk, is every expensive, exclusive dunk put out shat out onto one shoe. It's almost like going to a tattoo shop and seeing everything on the wall and putting it on your wall. I'll put it in the same category as Ed Hardy. It's also a shame that the Pee Wee Herman dunk costs 15 dollars more than the Gino Iannucci's. Again, if memory serves me right, the Ginos are 1st edition. They came in the regular Nike box, I think. They are simple, and look like they serve their purpose, to be skated in. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

But I guess with the death of the mark ups, its understandable why things aren't so expensive anymore. I mean unless someone REALLY wants a pair of a specific shoe, I can justify spending about $150 for it. Afterall, two pairs of Air Jordans will run you 300. That's TWO pairs.

I wish I could get to people, anyone who is looking to spend up to a bajillion dollars on a pair of sneakers, to reconsider and possibly by 5 pairs of the underappreciated sneaker in the broom closest of Flight Club. I see a pair of Eire dunks in there that I would like to wear and and tear the shit out of, but I don't think I have good experience with suede shoes, but still. I just want to dog a pair, beat the life out of it, and walk into store with them on. Dead and everything.

I guess I'll just do that to my Tiffany's

No comments: